Sunday, January 22, 2012

"I know just what you are going through!"

I love it when people share their own stories of grief, suffering, and loss with me. There are many things I can identify with in the stories that others share. It helps to know that I'm not alone, that other people wrestle with the same agony and questions that I'm going through.

Having said that, there are some circumstances that just don't compare. For example, a co-worker recently shared with me that he understood what I'm going through, because his wife lost their first child due to a miscarriage somewhere around 3 months gestation. I appreciated the fact that he was trying to reach out and sympathize, but the way he did it just grated on me. He acted as if the experience of pregnancy loss is the same as the loss of an infant. No doubt, both are painful in their own way. However, losing an infant that is 7 weeks of age is not the same as a miscarriage.

One of the things that people who have walked through the most painful kinds of grief intuitively know is that they don't know exactly what anyone else is going through. The deepest losses sharpen our sympathies and cause us to realize that we really cannot compare the uniqueness of our situation to anyone else. A dear friend who has been following this blog knows exactly this - she and I have unique and different situations, and yet there are similar emotions involved. We can express how sorry we are for each other's experiences, and ask the other what are going through. And then we can listen. Because beyond that, it is not fair to say we have been through what they have been through. We haven't.

One woman in sharing about her grief after her husband died described eating alone at home a lot, because she wanted to avoid going out and feeling exposed. I can truly identify with this feeling of exposure. People ask the most innocent of questions when I'm in public that feel like sandpaper on a raw and open wound.

For the woman who lost her husband, "are you married?"

For the parents who lost their only child, "do you have any children?"

This kind of exposure becomes even more acute when someone, usually a perfect stranger, claims to know exactly what you are going through. "Oh, you lost your baby at 7 weeks of age? I know just what you are going through. My grandmother, who practically raised me, just died last year at 82 years of age. I know how hard this is for you."

No, my dear fellow human being, you do not know. People's grandmothers are supposed to die when they get older -- it is the natural order of things. People's children are not supposed to die. You are supposed to die before your children, watching them grow strong into their mid-life years as the flame of your candle waxes dim.

I've come to believe that avoiding this kind of exposure during the most painful times of grief is okay, that it is a healthy form of self-preservation.

At the same time, there are times when human contact can't be avoided, and that is okay too. It teaches us (or at least me) to be patient with others, to give them grace, because Lord knows I have probably made the same mistakes. An innocent attempt to identify with what someone is going through can instead create a sharp contrast that clearly highlights the extent to which I don't know what they're going through.

And so I've learned that the best response to someone's expression of a terrible experience is, "Wow, I cannot imagine what you are going through. I am so sorry. What is this like for you?"

And then... I just listen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is so true and eloquently written. When we miscarried a few years ago, it was people's reactions and "words of comfort" that were the hardest to take. Sometimes they hurt so much even thought people were just trying to help. WE learned so much about how to share in other's grief. The best comfort for us was people who listened, cried with us, and said "i'm so sorry." That simple phrase is enough.
Thanks for your blog Mandy. I passed it along to a friend who is grieving the loss of her little girl.
Kiera