Sunday, January 6, 2013

Ready, Set, Go!

So, for a few months now I have been procrastinating. I need to morph this blog into something beyond my grief experience, and that is a hard thing to do. For a while I think some deep part of me felt like if I talk about other things than my daughter and how much I would always love and miss her, I would be acting as if she didn't really matter.

I overheard someone on the train to Philly a few days ago say that perfectionists are among the worst procrastinators. It is the drive to do it perfectly that makes us afraid to actually start, because it is so intimidating. I won't explain this further, because if you are a perfectionist like me, it will already be making some sense to you.

A wise person once told me that as Luke and I continue to grow our family, we will not stop grieving our daughter. We may be caring for more children in the future, but the grief process will not stop once they arrive. And her memory will not go away once they arrive.

So I'm taking the plunge right here, right now. I'm giving myself a big kick in the rear, and I'm shouting "ready, set, go!" Let's do this thing.

When I started this blog, I wanted it to be flexible. Gathering Blessings is about finding reasons for joy, meaning and thankfulness in any season of life. So future blog posts here will chronicle not only grieving our first daughter, but to muse about the process of adopting our future children.

It's a new year, and it's going to be filled with learning and challenges, laughter and tears. I wouldn't have it any other way.


Happy New Year 2013 - hopefully by next year, there will be more Martin family members in the picture!



2 comments:

Kelley Alleger said...

That is so exciting. :) Any children will be blessed to have you as mommy and daddy.

Anika said...

I heard a song on Spotify the other night after reading your blog. Made me think of you. It seems to be about grieving for a child throughout life. It is called Ten by Yellowcard. It's worth a listen if you get a chance.

No matter what, I know Liza will be close in your heart - even when your blog takes some new turns and when future kids come home. I can imagine opening up the blog content would feel difficult. The blog has been a Liza space in its own way...

I am proud of you for taking this plunge. And I'm thrilled that you are adopting! I already love Liza's siblings and can hardly wait to find out who they are.