Sunday, June 3, 2012

Choosing a Happy Ending

I have heard it said that "life is what happens when you're trying to get from Point A to Point B." This is so true. A strength of mine is being very goal oriented. I break life down into segments and projects that help me to achieve goals. In the process, though, I often lose the moments. I forget to look around me and appreciate the beauty of this day, this hour.

This is even more challenging sometimes in the realm of grief. A critical part of the grief process is remembering, looking back, thinking about that person and feeling the pain of his or her absence. For me, though, if I get stuck in that place for too long, I can miss hours or days of my life that is happening right here and now.

So it seems like another important part of the grief process is the way in which we move on. It's about striking a balance between reliving precious memories, and being able to enjoy the here and now.

How do we write the narrative of what happens in the "after" state, after the tragedy has passed? I think maybe this narrative happens in the small things, the every day moments that are built brick by brick into the structure that is our life story.

Looking forward, and looking back.


Being intentional about making these moments meaningful, being intentional about finding meaning in the every day. Slowly over time, new and positive memories are built that begin to construct a path into the future. I can feel that walkway growing over time, and it is helping me to look forward.

It is also helping me to appreciate every stepping stone, every moment, as it is selected and laid into the path of life with care and appreciation.


1 comment:

Anika said...

Beautifully said, Mandy.