Monday, November 12, 2012

Two

Today, Liza Jane would have turned two years old. I woke up this morning almost exactly at the time she was born. We've had a weekend full of remembering her, crying for her, wishing we could will her back to this earth.

I'm so thankful to family members who spent time having a birthday rememberance with us on Friday night. Among other things, we made sweet heart-shaped ornaments in memory of her. My sister made a birthday cake. My almost-3-year-old niece offered to blow out the candles for Liza since she was in heaven and couldn't come to her party.

The whole night, I felt like I was seeing a shadow of a tiny two year old in the room. Since she had Down syndrome, she may or may not have been walking by this time. The low muscle tone that comes with the condition means everything takes a little bit longer. I would have been okay with her not walking yet. I love the soft, cuddly baby stage.

It's been a hard few days leading up to this. Today I think I'm just glad it's almost over. Anyone who has lost a child knows you spend a lot of time dreading the special milestones.

And now, I'm drained and ready to think about something else. So I'm signing off and saying happy birthday, dear Liza, happy birthday to you. I still love you, baby girl. And I'm glad that you are not struggling anymore.


1 comment:

Anika said...

All the ornaments turned out so sweet. So glad you had the family remembrance get together.

I did find myself wishing I could wish her back to you. Seeing this photo of her when she was struggling is a helpful reminder that I, too, am glad she does not need to struggle anymore.

There is so much love for her in your eyes in this photo. Comfort and hope to you guys in the next weeks as you cross more of her milestones.