Friday, February 3, 2012

Uncooked

It is difficult to know how to grieve in Western society. I've been encouraged to share my feelings with others more, to talk about what I'm going through, because it aids the healing process. In our world, though, there are not a lot of good outlets for this.

One family I've observed who recently lost a precious 5-year-old daughter seems to be facing the same problem. They have posted about their anguish on their daughter's Facebook page, and I'm happy to report, many people either "like" those comments or reply with encouraging words.

Maybe the internet is the new way that we share our grief. There certainly are not a whole lot of other socially acceptable ways to express grief.

I've quoted Joan Didion's book before on this blog. It's so insightful that I just can't help it. Here's what she found about grief in our society.
"Philip Aries, in a series of lectures he delivered at Johns Hopkins in 1973 and later published as Western Attitudes toward Death: From the Middle Ages to the Present, noted that beginning about 1930 there had been in most Western countries and particularly the United States a revolution in accepted attitudes toward death. 'Death,' he wrote, 'so omnipresent in the past that it was familiar, would be effaced, would disappear. It would become shameful and forbidden.'"
- Joan Didion, The Year of Magical Thinking

Try to stay with me... I know this is a bit academic-sounding, but in my experience it is pretty true to life.
"The English social anthropologist Geoffry Gorer, in his 1965 Death, Grief, and Mourning, had described this rejection of public mourning as a result of the increasing pressure of a new 'ethical duty to enjoy oneself,' a novel 'imperative to do nothing which might diminish the enjoyment of others.' In both England and the United States, he observed, the contemporary trend was 'to treat mourning as morbid self-indulgence, and to give social admiration to the bereaved who hide their grief so fully that no one would guess anything had happened.'"
- Joan Didion, The Year of Magical Thinking

Now, any therapist worth their salt will tell you that mourning is not self-indulgent. It is an absolutely critical process that a person has to walk through, often for years, in order to heal emotionally. And yet, our society doesn't seem to be comfortable with letting people do just that.

Maybe for we Americans, it is our independent streak that gets the better of us. Our culture prizes the attitude of pulling ourselves up by our boot straps and moving on. Often I've heard the quote "when the going gets tough, the tough get going." This isn't always the healthy thing to do though. The many emotions of grief, if not given air, will fester below the surface and eventually come to the forefront again.
This is an excerpt from the memoir Angelica Huston has been writing since her husband of 16 years, the artist Robert Graham, died in 2008.

"I like to be associated with strength rather than weakness and misery. But we're made up of all of these components. There's always a moment where you are deeply alone in your own skin, and it's hard to come to terms with it. There's a period after something like the death of a spouse where you can totally understand why widows wore veils.
"Because no one should really look upon you for a couple of years, and you really shouldn't look upon anyone else. You're very tender; you feel like something uncooked. And people can be very unpleasant when you're in a state of grief."
- Excerpt from Angelica Huston's memoir, as quoted by the Wall Street Journal online

I love the way she uses the word "uncooked" here. I've often felt tender, vulnerable, like I was going out in public with a big bulls eye on my torso. To me, it seems like people should have a special designation when they are going through grief. Like a "fragile, handle with care" sticker that lets others know this individual is going through a difficult time, so please show some mercy.

It doesn't work that way, though. I've come to grips with the fact that in most social settings, I will have to be the one to bring up my daughter in conversation. Most people will not ask how I'm doing or extend their sympathies at this point. They look embarassed, averting their eyes and mumbling condolensces, if I relate a lesson that she taught me, or a story from her life.

And I cannot blame them: they have no pattern for doing this; they haven't observed anyone else around them responding to grief in an open way. Maybe they don't realize that it takes a long, long time for these wounds to heal, and that I will never forget my daughter, she will always be a part of me, always on my mind. If that means I have to walk through life a little bit uncooked, then it is worth it... she was, and is, worth it.

2 comments:

Melodie Yaw said...

Thanks for sharing Mandy! I love how you are able to write out what's going on. It is poignant (I believe that's the word) and as always brings real life down to the road just like when tires meet the road. Liza Jane is super special!

Anika said...

Mandy, you have said this so well. Our culture does not create spaces for grief, at least not in everyday life. There's the sympathy section at the card store. But as a culture, we only give people those kinds of words at the beginning of their grief. There is just one isolated section dedicated to grief, despite the long painful journey and all the occasions of life that follow after.

I've gone to two stores this past week looking for a birthday card for you. Both times I came away empty handed, thinking "I can't send any of those to Mandy. Don't they know people who have lost their daughter have birthdays, too?" The birthday row has a sister section, a for her section, a friend section. I looked through all of these. The messages convey hopes for the recipient's deepest wishes to come true, for another wonderful year, for her to receive whatever it is that could make her the most happy - cause she certainly deserves that kind of limitless happiness, or for her to be surrounded on her special day by all those who she cherishes most. But I couldn't wish those things, cause I know wishing can't bring Liza back, so it would be cruel to suggest it could.

It is remarkable that there is no birthday for survivors section, no birthday for persons in mourning. There should be. There needs to be. Thanks for teaching us, so gently and gracefully about making spaces for fellow humans to grieve. With your pattern to follow, I hope to be a pattern for others to follow.