Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Having Compassion... for Ourselves

Guilt is a common struggle for people going through the grief process. We often blame ourselves for the tragedy that has struck a loved one, or review events in our minds over and over again to see if we could have done anything differently.

The reality, though, is that we could not have stopped the disaster if we wanted to. Still, our minds seek someone to blame, and too often we turn that blame on ourselves.

Lately I've been working on forgiveness - forgiving other people, but more importantly, forgiving myself. This isn't necessarily tied directly to the events that led up to my daughter's death, but it has more to do with my general outlook and mindset about the road I'm on.


The sweet baby girl whose life, and death, have forever changed me and the path I am walking. Here, Liza Jane is surrounded by the many accessories our kind hospital nurses used to prop her up and make her comfortable. She's making one of her cute fishy faces in this photo - a rare occasion when she felt well enough to be awake and a little bit playful.


Compassion toward myself has never been my strong suit. I'm someone who has been motivated to do things out of a sense of duty, obligation or guilt for much of my life. I am grateful for some close friends and confidants who have been challenging me in this area lately.

As I have been struggling with the grief process, and trying to learn how to go on with life since my daughter died, I have often been really hard on myself. One trusted friend said to me a few months ago, "Can you step back, look at yourself and have ANY compassion for yourself right now?"

That was a turning point for me, although I didn't realize it at the time. The expectations that I have set for myself based on what I assume God wants from me, and what I assume others expect from me, are at best unrealistic. At worst, they are downright harmful.

So I'm walking down a new path where I am learning to be compassionate toward myself. It is incredible how many times a day I catch myself being really harsh toward myself. And I'm working on doing just that: catching it. I am catching that thought and reconstructing it. Instead of thinking "you idiot!" when I make a mistake, thinking "I'm a human being and I make mistakes every day. It is okay."

The truth is, we all need compassion. We need to shower forgiveness on those around us, and importantly, on ourselves.

*****

On a somewhat related note, check out the new "How to Help" link at the top of this blog. If your friend or loved one is struggling with grief, this may provide some insight into the things that they will appreciate hearing at this time.

(For all my friends who read this blog, this is not me trying to give you a not-so-subtle hint! Just wanted to share with others who may be struggling to know how to support someone who is going through the loss of a precious child.)

3 comments:

Joelyn said...

Mandy-
It's been a LONG time since I've seen you guys but I saw a friend's link to this blog and wanted to let you know how much I appreciate you writing about your journey with so much honesty and truth. I'm really glad for your suggestions of how to help, because it's easy for me to think of all the things I don't want to do or say when I know someone is hurting, so hearing from you about what is helpful will keep me from feeling paralyzed and not doing anything at all. May you and Luke be drawn close to the Father in all the fullness of his love and comfort, especially as you comfort others in this way.
Joelyn

Mandy said...

Thanks Joelyn. It is so nice to hear from you, and I am really glad that the "how to help" page is helpful. Before I lost a child, I had no idea what to say or do... it is just such an incomprehensible situation, our brains freeze sometimes. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers, it means a lot. Hope you are doing well!

Anika said...

Mandy, what a significant turning point you have made - from harshness to surrounding yourself with compassion. I would say compassion is a much more supportive environment for growth. May the showers of tender, loving care and compassion be of plenty for you.

I have been catching myself with something lately, too. It is the word "should" in my thoughts and words. I find myself using it way too often towards myself and others. Underneath "should" the motivator is guilt, duty, or fear. I'm trying to replace it with "could" - what could I do and what would be my motivation? - and then explore my options. I have found replacing shoulds with coulds is freeing and supportive, even though I haven't yet rewired my thought processes enough to stop using should automatically.

I, too, appreciate the "how to help" page. What a gift and a resource your blog is. Thank you so much for all the time, energy, and heart you share with us here.