Sunday, April 22, 2012

Loving this Idea...

If you have lost a child, what do you tell people when they ask you how many children you have? I found this blog post about preserving the memory of our lost children to be a wonderful resource with lots of good ideas to think about.

And, in the spirit of preserving our family history, I wanted to share a lovely idea that I found to honor our children, the ones who are here with us, and the ones who have gone before us into heaven.

I'm always looking for ways to honor my daughter's memory. We have special photos around our home. We have a lovely scrapbook about her life and a memory box holding some of our favorite Liza Jane things. And we visit her grave to bring flowers and feel close to her again.

Sometimes I wear this lovely handmade locket that my husband got for me on Etsy to commemorate what would have been our daugher's 1st birthday. Her picture is inside.





My 2-year-old niece loves to look inside this locket when I wear it. She knows there is something special about it. She comes close, sits on my lap and says "see baby." We open the locket, and she says "aahhhh" in her sweet little girl voice. Then I tell her it is her cousin Liza who is in heaven, and ask her if she wants to give kisses. It never fails that my niece gives the sweetest little kiss to this baby cousin whom she never met.

Later the same day she will come to me and say "see baby, give kisses." Kids know - they know when something, or someone, is close to our hearts.

I just learned about another lovely way to honor our children through these lovely birds nest rings and necklaces. Pay close attention to the ring in the third picture...





When I saw this, I was floored. Is that really a nest with 3 white eggs and 1 gold egg? Symbolizing a special child that perhaps didn't make it in this life?

Yes, yes it is. This bird nest jewelry is hand crafted and customizable so we mommas can come up with a design that represents all of the children who are close to our hearts, not just the ones who are with us on this earth today.

Here is the Etsy shop where you can find these lovely pieces. And, thanks to Kelle Hampton for posting and sharing this idea on her blog.


2 comments:

Anika said...

Really neat idea! Thanks for sharing it.

Heidi Garber said...

She knows...